Benoit First Nation
Family & Children Membership only
in Penwaaq Línuík
Application requirements and information:
- Band members please sign up your Non-Status Mikmaq and Status children (but please read our requirements below first).
- Please complete and submit our direct PDF submit Application Form or to print, scan and email application and non-status Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw must attach a scanned completed pedigree chart.
- Please fill in all sections applicable. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- You must meet our criteria requirements. You must show an historic connection to the Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw community.
- ***Status Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw only need to submit a copy of their Indian Status card with the application.
- You must self identify as a Lnu'k/mi'kmaw person. Those who do not, need not apply.
- Non-status Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw will need to attach an ancestry report or pedigree chart showing a solid connection to our common Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw ancestor. Please contact our Chief, you may only need to connect to a recent ancestor if we already have the info on file.
- Non-status Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw will also need to prove your connection to your aboriginal ancestor through baptism or long form birth, (showing parents names) baptism, marriage, colonial and archival documents that you must attach to your application. Long Form (showing parents names) PROVINCIAL birth certificates for yourself (and children if applicable) are required. (Please send copies only - do not send originals.).
(Click here for Newfoundland birth certificate Applications) Be sure that the province properly records your mother maiden name - if not have them correct it. (Get any other errors fixed as well)
- For non-staus Lnu'k/Mi'kmaw we would appreciate it when providing documentation that you please refraine from using nicknames- we need the actual legal names of individuals. Nicknames can cause confusion.
- BFN family and children applications must be approved by our local band Council and upon acceptance successful applicants will be added to our native council Register and receive an acceptance letter. Initial membersip donation is $20 per person. For those ordering band cards, which is a separate fundraiser, they are $10.00 donation each. Please attach or email photos for the band cards. (membership disclaimer).
- An annual membership cultural fund donation of $20.00 for each adult member and $5.00 for each person under 19 is required and very much appreciated and you email transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or use our Paypal account. The annual due is required every October from all members. Cheques or money orders are also accepted, payable to Benoit First Nation. All donations received will be used for cultural activities and programing.
- Donate by Credit Card
- Donate by Email transfer
Question: What is this for? Answer: membership
- Donate by Facebook
- Donate in person at the Mi'kmaw Centre, we have a debit machine that accepts debit cards, credit cards including tap. Contact us to arrange a time.
- Membership in our band does not include nor promise Indian Act registration for non-Status
. We accept you into our Mi'kmaw Community aspart of our extended family. We are a Lnu'k community made up of Qalipu Mikmaw 1st Nation status and non-status members.If you have any questions or need further clarification, please contact us.
- Members are responsible for updating their email, mailing address and telephone numbers with the band, when such changes occur.
- You must now submit a separate application for each and every child regardless of age. Each will be assigned their own band number.
- Once we receive your application, it can take up to four weeks to process your application if everything is in order and your application will be approved if incomplete.Our mailing address is 811 Oceanview Drive, Cape St. George, NL. A0N 1T1.
- Applications received are protected and as such the personal information will be kept confidential.
All donations and fees are non-refundable. To file a Grievance or Complaint with our Band Council click here.
Benoit 1st Nation maintains one native council register, (Basic list here).
To see an example of one type of our band cards. Click here.
Copyright © Benoit First Nation